Professor of New Testament since 2001. Currently also Principal and Academic Dean.
B.A., McMaster University, 1975;
M.Div., Theological College of Canadian Reformed Churches, 1979;
Th.Drs., Theological University of Kampen, 1992;
Ph.D., McMaster University, 2008.
Professor Visscher has ministered to Canadian Reformed congregations in Houston, British Columbia, Ottawa, Ontario, Surrey, British Columbia, Burlington West and Burlington-Waterdown, Ontario. As a full-time professor he retains his ministerial status with the church at Burlington-Waterdown, Ontario.
Contact: email | ext. 31
- Romans 4 and the New Perspective: Faith Embraces the Promises, New York: Peter Lang, May, 2009.
- Abraham, Faith, and Works: the Role of Romans 4 in the Discussion concerning the New Perspective on Paul. Ph.D. dissertation, McMaster University, Hamilton, 2008.
- The Son of David. Th.Drs. thesis, Theological University, Kampen, 1991.
- "The Epistle of James: Justification or Sanctification?" In Living Waters from Ancient Springs: Essays in Honour of Cornelis Van Dam, ed. J. Van Vliet. Eugene: Pickwick Publications, 2011.
- "The Attraction of Evangelicalism." In The Challenge of Being Reformed Today, ed. J. Mulder, 1-21, 29-57. Winnipeg: Premier, 1999.
- "Fall of Human Beings," Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception, forthcoming.
- "How Should the Pulpit Address the Pew? Some Lessons from Paul" Clarion 42, no 55 (2006). (Cf. Lux Mundi 26 March 2007). See article here.
- "The Purpose of Romans and the Unity of the People of God," Koinonia 20.2 (2003) : 2- 14.
- "So what does separate the Sheep from the Goats? A Closer Look at a Misunderstood Parable (Matthew 25:31-46)" Clarion 51, no. 21 (2002) : 501-503.
- Review of The Library of Qumran: On the Essenes, Qumran, John the Baptist, and Jesus," by Hartmut Stegeman. Westminster Theological Journal 61 (1999) : 280-282.
- "New Views Regarding Legalism and Exclusivism in Judaism: Is there a Need to Reinterpret Paul?" Koinonia 18.2 (1999) : 15-42. See http://www.spindleworks.com/library/visscher/NewLegalism.htm.
- "Toronto Blessing or Temples of the Holy Spirit?" Clarion 44, no. 11 (1995) : 253-256.
- "The Son of David Reigns!" Clarion 42, YrEnd (1993) : 534-536.
- "Pentecost: Baptism with the Holy Spirit," Clarion 38, no 10 (1989) : 218-221.