Theodore G. Van Raalte
Professor of Ecclesiology
B.A., McMaster University, 1995
M.Div., Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary, 1999
M.A. (Theol. Studies), Providence Theological Seminary, 2010
Ph.D., Calvin Theological Seminary, 2013
Dr. Van Raalte is professor of Ecclesiology, prior to which he served as a pastor for eleven years. He completed a Ph.D. at Calvin Theological Seminary in historical theology, focussing on the work of Antoine de Chandieu (1534-1591) and Reformed Scholasticism.
Dissertation and Thesis
- “Antoine de Chandieu (1534-1591): One of the Fathers of Reformed Scholasticism?” Ph. D. diss., Calvin Theological Seminary, 2013.
- “Early Reformed Spirituality: The Prayers of Guillaume Farel (1489-1565).” M.A. thesis: Providence Theological Seminary, 2010.
- As You See the Day Approaching: Reformed Perspectives on the Last Things. Edited by Theodore G. Van Raalte. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2016.
- The Bond of the Covenant Within the Bounds of the Confessions: A Conversation Between the URCNA and CANRC. Edited by John A. Bouwers and Theodore G. Van Raalte. St. Catharines, ON: Church Unity Publications, 2015.
- Early French Reform: Guillaume Farel’s Theology and Spirituality. Co-authored with Jason Zuidema. Surrey, England: Ashgate, 2011.
- Resource Package on Church Planting and Neighbourhood Bible Studies. Edited by Kresha Faber and Ted Van Raalte. Surrey, BC: privately published, 2011.
Articles And Essays
- “Eschatology, or Doctrine concerning the End Times,” in As You See the Day Approaching: Reformed Perspectives on the Last Things, ed. Theodore G. Van Raalte (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2016), pp. 1–19.
- “In Between and Intermediate: My Soul in Heaven’s Glory,” in As You See the Day Approaching: Reformed Perspectives on the Last Things, ed.Theodore G. Van Raalte (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2016), pp. 70–111.
- “Another Wax Nose? Accommodation in Divine Revelation,” in Correctly Handling the Word of Truth: Reformed Hermeneutics Today, ed. Mees te Velde and Gerhard H. Visscher (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2014), pp. 226–51.
- "The French Reformed Synods of the Seventeenth Century,” in The Theology of the French Reformed Churches: From Henri IV to the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, ed. Martin Klauber (Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2014), pp. 57–97.
- “François Lambert d’Avignon (c. 1487-1536): Early Ecclesial Reform and Training for the Ministry at Marburg,” in Church and School in Early Modern Protestantism: Studies in Honor of Richard A. Muller on the Maturation of a Theological Tradition, eds Jordan J. Ballor, David S. Sytsma, and Jason Zuidema (Leiden: Brill, 2013), pp. 81–96.
- “Noster Theophilus”: The Fictitious “Printer” Whose Anti-Jesuit Volumes Issued from Various Presses in Geneva between 1580 and 1589,” Bibliothèque d'Humanisme et Renaissance 74:3 (2012), pp. 569–91.
- “The Puritans and Paedobaptism,” [co-authored with Mark Jones] ch. 45 in A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life, by Joel Beeke and Mark Jones (Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2012), pp. 725–41.
- “Unleavened Morality? Herman Bavinck on Natural Law,” in Five Studies in the Thought of Herman Bavinck, a Creator of Modern Dutch Theology, ed. John Bolt (Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen, 2011), pp. 57–99.
- “For The Greater Good: Christian Philosophical and Theological Responses to The Problem of Evil,” in La Revue Farel 5 (2010): 81–96.
- “Guillaume Farel’s Spirituality: Leading in Prayer,” in Westminster Theological Journal 70:2 (Fall 2008): 277–302.
- “The Most Illustrious Illustration of our Free Election – Calvin and Augustine on Christ’s Election,” in Koinonia 20:2 (Fall 2003): 15–40.
- "Digitized Research Methods for Solving Pseudonymity: A New Discovery of Ten Volumes Printed under a Fictitious Name and Place in the 1580s." Presented at the Junius Institute in Grand Rapids, MI, on May 09, 2014.
- “Antoine de Chandieu (1534-1591): Theological and Scholastic Pedagogy in the Swiss Cantons.” Presented at Christian Faith and the University Conference in Montreal, September 26-28, 2013.
- “Antoine de Chandieu (1534-1591): L’un des pères de la scolastique réformée?” Presented to the Franeker University Theological Society at Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids, MI, on October 21, 2011.
- “Early Scholastic Method? Antoine de Chandieu’s (1534-1591) La confirmation de la discipline ecclesiastique (1566).” Presented at Sixteenth Century Society and Conference in Montreal, Canada, October 16, 2010.
- “Hypothetically Speaking: Antoine de Chandieu’s (1534-1591) use of syllogisms in De Verbo Dei scripto.” Presented at Calvin et son influence in Geneva, Switzerland, May 27, 2009.
- “Speaking Syllogistically: Antoine de Chandieu’s (1534-1591) Style of Argument in his De unico sacerdotio & sacrificio.” Presented at Sixteenth Century Society and Conference in Geneva, Switzerland, May 30, 2009.
- “Unleavened Morality? Herman Bavinck on Natural Law.” Presented at the First Annual Bavinck Conference “A Pearl and a Leaven,” in Grand Rapids, MI, Sept. 18, 2008.