Cornelis Van Dam
Emeritus Professor of Old Testament, 2011. He served as Professor of Old Testament from 1981-2011.
Dissertation and Thesis
- The Urim and Thummim. A Means of Revelation in Ancient Israel. Revised thesis. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1997.
- Hope and Comfort in the Book of Job. Winnipeg: Premier Publishing, 2017.
- The Deacon: Biblical Foundations for Today's Ministry of Mercy. Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2016.
- The Elder: Today’s Ministry Rooted in All of Scripture [Korean translation]. Heon Soo Kim, trans. Seoul: Sungyak Press, 2012.
- God and Government: Biblical Principles for Today: An Introduction and Resource. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2011.
- The Elder: Today’s Ministry Rooted in All of Scripture. Explorations in Biblical Theology. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2009.
- Fathers and Mothers at Home and at School. Reformed Guardian, New Series, no. 8; Kelmscott, Western Australia, n.p., 2000.
- Perspectives on Worship, Law and Faith: The Old Testament Speaks Today. Kelmscott, Western Australia: Pro Ecclesia, 2000.
- Divorce and Remarriage in the Light of Old Testament Principles and Their Application in the New Testament. Winnipeg: Premier, 1996.
Articles and Essays
- “Urim and Thummim” on SBL’s Bible Odyssey website: https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/people/related-articles/urim-and-thummim
- “Inter-religious Relations and the Challenge of Multiculturalism: Some Biblical Principles” in Hallvard Hagelia and Markus Zehnder, eds., Interreligious Relations: Biblical Perspectives, 31-50. London, UK: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017.
- “Divination, Magic.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Prophets, edited by Mark J. Boda and J. Gordon McConville, 159-62. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic, 2012.
- “This is my Father’s World.” Christian Legal Journal (Spring 2010):17-19.
- “Golden Calf.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, edited by T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker, 368-71. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2003.
- “Priestly Clothing.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, edited by T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker, 643-46. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2003.
- “Rod, Staff.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, edited by T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker, 693-94. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic, 2003.
- “The Diaconal Task. Some Old Testament Roots and Their Continuing Significance.” Diakonia 2.2 (1988): 30-36. Reprinted in Deacons Go Visiting! edited by W. Huizinga, 5-24. The Reformed Guardian, New Series, no. 16; Kelmscott, W.A.: n.p., 2003.
- Articles in The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis, edited by W. Van Gemeren. 5 vols. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1997. For a complete list see Living Waters From Ancient Springs, edited by Jason van Vliet, 237-39. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2011.
- “Reformed or Evangelical?” In The Challenge of Being Reformed Today, edited by J. Mulder, 102-107. Publication 3 of the Burlington Reformed Study Centre. Winnipeg: Premier, 1999.
- “Elder.” In Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, edited by W. Ellwell, 197-99. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996.
- “Divorce and Remarriage. A Closer Look at Some Exegetical Arguments for an Indissoluble Marriage Bond and Some Consequences.” Koinonia 17.1 (1996): 1-27.
- "Urim and Thummim.” In Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, edited by W. Ellwell, 794. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996.
- “Duidelijke Taal. De boodschap van de hemelen volgens Psalm 19:5a.” In Een Sprekend Begin. Opstellen aangeboden aan Prof. Drs. H. M. Ohmann, edited by R. ter Beek, E. Brink, C. Van Dam, and G. Kwakkel, 86-93. Kampen: Uitgeverij Van den Berg, 1993.
- “When Brothers Dwell in Unity [Ps 133].” In The Challenge of Church Union. Speeches and Discussions on Reformed Identity and Ecumenicity, edited by C. Van Dam, 201-212. Publication 1 of the Burlington Reformed Study Centre. Winnipeg: Premier, 1993. Originally published in Clarion 41.19 (1992): 399-402.
- “The Burnt Offering in Its Biblical Context.” Mid-America Journal of Theology 7 (1991): 195-206.
- “The Incense Offering in its Biblical Context.” Mid-America Journal of Theology 7 (1991): 179-184.
- “The Origin and Character of Sacrifice in Scripture.” Mid-America Journal of Theology 7 (1991): 3-16.
- “How Shall We Read Genesis 1?” Mid-America Journal of Theology 6 (1990): 19-32.
- The Meaning of bišegagâ.” In Unity in Diversity, edited by R. Faber, 13-24. Hamilton: The Senate of the Theological College of the Canadian Reformed Churches, 1989.
- “The Elder as Preserver and Nurturer of Life in the Covenant.” In Proceedings of the International Conference of Reformed Churches June 19-28, 1989, 277-298 Winnipeg: Premier, 1989. Reprinted in Lux Mundi 8.3 (1989): 9-12; 8.4 (1989): 4-9.
- “Education in the Word in an Age of the Picture. In Bible Instruction and Curriculum. Proceedings of the Bible History Conference August 1996. Hamilton: CARE, 1997. Originally published in Clarion 37.25 (1988): 524-525; 38.1 (1989): 8-9; 38.2 (1989): 31-32.
- “The Elder in the Gate. Some Aspects of the Judicial Task of Elders in the Old Testament and its Relevance for Today. Diakonia 1.4 (1988): 11-16.
- “Urim and Thummim.” In The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, edited by G.W. Bromiley, 4:957-59. Revised edition. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1988.
- “Wisdom, Knowledge, and Teaching.” In Thinking Christianly About Education: A Reader for Use at the Canadian Reformed Teachers College, Hamilton, Ontario, compiled by T. M. P. van der Ven, 110-117. 1987. This article had earlier been published in C.R.T.A. Magazine 15.2 (1985).
- The Multicultural Challenge: A Christian View. A speech held in the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa, Ontario, on March 27, 2012. ARPA Canada, 2012. [available at http://arpacanada.ca/publications]
- God and Government: A Biblical Perspective on the Role of the State. A speech held in the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa, Ontario, on March3, 2009. ARPA Canada, 2009. [available at http://arpacanada.ca/publications]
For a complete bibliography up to the end of 2010, including the numerous articles in Clarion, click here, or see Living Waters From Ancient Springs, edited by Jason Van Vliet, 235-51, [Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2011].